Sunday, March 29, 2020

On Feeling the Spirit

As I think about my beliefs over the years, I recognize a big shift in terms of my beliefs about the Holy Ghost or the Spirit. I think often in my past, I confused strong feelings with the Holy Ghost. And after all, don't we talk about the 'burning in the bosom?' Discerning what is from God and what what comes from feelings or emotions can be very difficult. One of the things that has helped me better discern is recognizing that "the Holy Ghost has no other effect than pure intelligence" (Joseph Smith, TPJS, p. 149).

D&C 50:21 says, "He that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth." I think it is interesting that here the Spirit is called the "Spirit of truth." It reminds me of D&C 93:36: "The glory of God is intelligence, in other words light and truth." Truth can be communicated to our hearts and minds. And that is what, in my experience, the Spirit does. It communicates truth to heart and mind.

Our minds can interfere with our ability to receive the Spirit of truth. We might be like those Paul described who were "ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Tim. 3:7). 

Our hearts can also interfere with our ability to receive or recognize the Spirit. A whole theater full of people can all be moved to tears at exactly the same moment. How does that happen? The music, the lighting, the words, the story all come together in a way that we all feel something at the same time. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I love movies that evoke strong emotion in me. But certainly I wouldn't think that was the Spirit. But the same thing can happen in our worship experiences or from hearing an inspiring message.

Our feelings are important, but they should not be our guides. I think it's also interesting that in the vision of the Tree of Life, Nephi explained that his father "also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building." 

We need knowledge, actual light and truth from heaven to guide us. Joseph Smith said, "A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge, for if he does not get knowledge, he will be brought into captivity by some evil power in the other world, as evil spirits will have more knowledge, and consequently more power than many men who are on the earth. Hence it needs revelation to assist us, and give us knowledge of the things of God."

In past years I always thought the Spirit brought feelings of peace. And, of course, it often does. But what about those times when the Spirit testifies of our need to repent? Does that bring a feeling of peace? It doesn't for me. Sometimes the Spirit's message contradicts something I believe deeply. And it takes a long time for me to soften to the point where I can even consider the message. So now I don't ask the question, "Do I feel peace when I hear this message," but instead, "Is there light and truth in this message?" That question leads me to study it out, search the scriptures, and then eventually to my knees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment